Malayan Data Privacy Notice
We at Malayan Insurance Company, Inc. (Malayan) respect and value
your privacy. We believe that you are entitled to know how we use and protect
your personal information. We give this notice to inform you of the ways in
which we process your personal information and the means by which you can
control, to a certain extent, these processes.
While this notice is intended mainly for the benefit of our individual clients, we emphasize that we handle and protect the information of our corporate clients in the same manner that we handle and protect the information of individuals.
1. Service Description
Malayan provides you with the best possible non-life insurance cover. To know more about our insurance products, please visit: https://www.malayanonline.com/product.
2. Personal Information we collect
The types of personal information that we collect depend on the product or service that our clients avail or intend to avail from us, including but not limited to the following:
For individual clients, Malayan collects their:
- Name and personal particulars such as contact details, address, birth date, education, civil status, gender, citizenship;
- Specimen signatures;
- Government ID details (such as TIN number, SSS or GSIS number and the like);
- Financial information (such as sources of fund e.g. income, investments, business, assets etc);
- Employment details (such as name of employer, type of employment, industry, etc.); and
- Business interests and assets;
For corporate clients, Malayan collects their:
- Official/principal businesses address, country origin, nature of business, corporate group affiliation;
- Government issued unique identifiers (such as TIN number, SSS number and the like);
- Name of authorized representative/position in the company, personal contact information of the authorized representative;
- Principal stockholders/partners, list of directors, list of principal officers;
- Number of employees; and
- Financial Information (such as average income for the last two years, monthly expenses, net taxable income, bank accounts and other assets will be collected).
Additional personal information that we collect over the course of our relationship with you
Over the course of our relationship, Malayan may collect information about you, such as, but not limited to, your transactions, account history and information, or inquiries regarding our insurance products and services.
Personal information that we collect as authorized or required by law
Malayan may also collect information about you as may be required or authorized by law. For instance, we ask for your personal information to comply with Republic Act No. 9160, the Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2001.
Personal information that we collect via your web activities
Malayan uses "Google Analytics" to collect information about the use of our website. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit our website, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites they go into prior to coming to our website. We then use the information collected from Google Analytics only for purposes of improving our website.
Google Analytics collects only
the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit our website, rather than
your name or other identifying information. Malayan does not combine
information collected through the use of Google Analytics with any of your
personally identifiable information.
Please note that some information may be gathered with the use of 'cookies' which are small pieces of information stored on your browser that may be retrieved by the site. Although Google Analytics plants a permanent cookie on your web browser to identify you as a unique user the next time you visit our website, the cookie cannot be used by anyone but Google and will allow Google Analytics to recognize you on any return visit to our website. Should you wish to disable these cookies, you may do so by changing the appropriate settings on your web browser.
3. When and how we collect your personal information
The principal ways we collect personal information from you are through our Quotation and Application Forms for our insurance products, Customer Information Sheet (CIS), Claims Forms, via phone call or email exchanges, as well as from other insurers, claims investigators and adjusters, medical professionals, and/or other third parties involved in our business dealings with you. For example, you may give your name and contact information to communicate with us, to inquire about or to procure an insurance product, to make a complaint, to make a claim or give feedback.
We will ask you to provide relevant, detailed and accurate information pertinent to your request or we may ask you to update some information that we have already previously collected so that we can render your requested services.
4. Why we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate business and commercial objectives of providing you with the best possible non-life insurance cover in accordance with the contractual, legal or regulatory requirements such as those set forth under the Insurance Code of the Philippines, the Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2001, Credit Information System Act, and all other regulatory laws, consistent with the provisions of the Data Privacy Act of 2012.
5. Why and how we use your personal information
Malayan only collects personal information which is relevant and required to understand your insurance needs, to conduct our business and to provide better customer service and products. In this regard, the particular purposes for which personal information will be used are as follows:
1. Processing and evaluating applications for insurance products and service;
2. Providing insurance or related products and services to you and administering, maintaining, managing and operating our business including our products and/or services;
3. Carrying out underwriting and reinsurance process, and account administration;
4. Processing billing and collection of insurance premiums and related fees;
5. Processing insurance claims, and other related activities in connection to the claim including making, defending, analyzing, investigating, processing, assessing, determining, responding to, resolving or settling such claims;
6. Communicating with clients regarding his policy as well as our products and services;
7. Performing any functions and activities related to the insurance products and/or services provided by Malayan, including, but not limited to, obtaining/providing reinsurance, tax monitoring/review/reporting, risk analysis and risk assessment and management;
8. Conducting statistical, actuarial research, including conducting data analytics, market studies that aim to provide clients with better products and service;
9. Providing information to you about Malayan’s product and service including information about other products and services offered by selected third-party partners;
10. Preventing, detecting and investigating fraud, money laundering, and other crimes punishable by law;
11. Conducting background and identity checks, for various purposes such as verifying your identity in order to respond to your request to be provided with a copy of the policy or other documentation, any request made by you to change your address in our records, or any request by you to change your other details in our records or in order to resolve complaints, and to handle requests for data access or correction;
12. Complying with statutory and regulatory requirements, issuances and directives from Regulators, Supervisory Body, Enforcement Agency, Court, Quasi-Judicial body or tribunal;
13. Preventing and defending legal actions and claims; and
14. Fulfilling any other purposes directly related to the above stated purposes.
6. Use of your personal information in marketing our products and services
We may use your personal
information to let you know about products and services that we believe may be
of interest to you, including products and services from the Yuchengco Group of
Companies (YGC) and other related and partner companies.
Such marketing activities may
be via mail, telephone, SMS, email, or any other electronic means. We may also
market our products to you through third party channels (such as social media
sites), or other companies who assist us to market our products and services.
You may let us know at any time if you no longer wish to receive direct marketing offers.
7. Sharing your personal information
Sharing with the government
To comply with legal and regulatory mandates, we submit required information to government agencies like the Insurance Commission (IC), Credit Information Corporation (CIC), and Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC), Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and other regulatory bodies.
Sharing with other persons and entities
We may also share your information to the members of YGC, their and Malayan’s affiliates, subsidiaries, contractors, partners, agents and representatives, intermediaries, industry associations, other insurers, reinsurers, adjusters, investigators and other third parties for purposes provided above.
Whenever your personal information is shared with third parties, we will ensure that your information will only be shared with entities that can demonstrate sufficient security measures that can and will protect your personal information.
8. When your personal information is no longer needed
We will retain your personal information only for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose(s) for which they were collected, or as may required by law and regulation. We will destroy your personal information when its retention is no longer required by the purpose(s) for which they were obtained, law or regulation.
9. How we secure your personal information
The security of your personal data is important to us and we take appropriate technical, physical, legal and organizational measures to protect it from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorized access, modification, and unauthorized disclosure by establishing and enforcing:
1. Confidentiality requirements and data privacy training of our employees;
2. Document storage security policies;
3. Security measures to control access to our systems and premises;
4. Limitations on access to personal data;
5. Strict selection of third party data processors and partners; and
6. Electronic security systems, such as firewalls and data encryption of our websites and mobile applications.
However, no data transmission or data storage system may be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If there is a reasonable belief that your communication with us is no longer secured please immediately notify us.
We may store your personal information physically or electronically with third party data storage providers. When we do this, we use contractual arrangements to ensure those providers take appropriate measures to protect that information and restrict the uses to which they can put that information.
10. How to access or correct your personal information
Unless there are practical, contractual and legal reasons why we cannot process your request, you have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, as well as to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. To do so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and address your concern to our Data Protection Officer.
When you request for access or update to your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to confirm your identity before granting you access to and updating your information.
11. If you have queries, requests and complaints
For your data privacy concerns and requests, you can email our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com or you can call us at (02) 628 - 8833.
Due to the rapidly evolving changes in law and technology, we reserve the right to update our Policy Statement. All revisions will be effective immediately upon being posted on this site.
*Updated as of August 2018